Friday 13 September 2013

Will they germinate

I posted before that it is a good year for seeds on the aloes, with seeds pods on the a. striatula and a. aristrata for the first time. The problem with aloes seed pods is that they tend to open suddenly, resulting in the lose of all the seeds. So there have been twice  daily checks and today found the a. aristrata pods starting to open.


Opening them carefully revealed a fair number of seeds.


Now a sensible person, would realise they don't need more of the same plants, have no space to over winter them, and has little luck with seedlings anyway.  But then a sensible person probably wouldn't have a succulent obsession in the UK.  So I will sowing them and seeing happens.

4 comments:

  1. See, I get that kind of insensibility. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. My little 'lizard lips' aloe produced seed last fall, and I planted them thinking they had made whoopee with one of my many Haworthia - no dice, turns out they are self fertile. Wahoo. Now I have four more aloes to find homes for. But not complaining mind you. ;C) Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear they were not hybrids, but always worth a try.

      Delete
  2. Aloes have been fairly easy here--I have a few seedlings from just throwing pods under the nearest shrub.

    It's always good to practice, isn't it? Then you are better skilled when you obtain seeds of something you REALLY want. My theory, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, it is practice more than anything else. I have to crack getting past seedlings at some point.

      Delete