Thursday 16 May 2013

Propagation update.

Having posted about my favourite propagation trick (here) I thought I would show how the plants are doing. So here is the plant on the 23rd of April, just after top cutting.


The three heads were potting up and have now started to root.  And the new plants are forming nicely on the stems of the bases.


I tend to strip the leaves off around the new plants, but leave the rest.  This seems to give me the best results and quickest growth.  It looks like I'll get about 8 plants from that stem. On one of the others it has given a boost to the plants that were already forming, as well creating some new ones.


So along with the three original heads, there should be about 20 new plants. Not bad for one little pot.

7 comments:

  1. These are my favorite! So easy to grow!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good when plants grow nice and easily.

      Delete
  2. Is there anything better than FREE plants?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are one of my favourite varieties and have been slow to offset. So pleased to have lots more.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a great technique! Do you find that doing it this way give you more plants than chopping off the whole head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure as if the stem is long enough I always use this method. There is less waste though, you can get very clean access to the stem to cut it.

      Delete